Voles! They're eating up the roots of my sugar snap and snow pea vines! I have to do some research on how to deal with them, but it's making me very sad. Despite the vole problem I'm getting a bumper crop of sugar snap and snow peas. I'm already thinking about how I'll plant peas next year in order to make the best use of my space. I love the branch teepees but letting them climb the side of chicken wire fence might take less space and work for the same reward. At the time, seeing them go sky high is beautiful...
I've finally put in stakes for my tomatoes. I'm going to try this trellising option...mostly because it's free. Brian made me the stakes from scrap wood in his shop. So now the tomatoes have some support. My three in the front container on our walkway already have blossoms open and tomatoes growing. I think those are sungolds, which makes sense- that variety has usually been early for me.
My cucumber has discovered the fence and is using that as support.
My herb garden is finally up and running. I've learned the hard way that herbs grow VERY slowly. It's worth it for me to buy a handful of starts in the spring. I found the sage plant this morning at the farmers market for $2. I also got a nice size bag of worm casings for $3, so most of my plants, especially the tomatoes, got a nice dressing of fertilizer tonight, with hay on top to help conserve water. It was 90 degrees today and it'll be warmer tomorrow so I expect to have to water tomorrow night.
All in all, I'm really happy with the state of my garden. I've put in a lot of work, starting all the way back in January when I was hacking out a huge grass plant. I hand tilled the soil and amended it. I started all these plants from seed either inside under the grow light or outside in the ground.
What's not working right now? Okra. I think it's shaded between the tall tomato plants and beans on either side.
No comments:
Post a Comment