So here's what's going on with the garden: It's freaking hot and the bugs are EVERYWHERE. I have zero motivation to get out and weed or even pull the plants that need to be pulled. The most time I want to spend out there is to pick a few ripe tomatoes and beans and get the H out.
My summer as a fledgling Tennessee gardener isn't going as well as I had planned. I'm writing this blog post to remind my January and February self not to over plan for next year. Here's what I'm thinking right now:
More tomatoes. The tomatoes are doing really well and I would focus on the small tomatoes. The garden plot just doesn't get enough sun for the bigger varieties. There are so many different kinds of miniature tomatoes and it would be fun to explore those.
Flowers! Next year I definitely want to plant some flowers. Zinnies, Calendula, Sunflowers. I would consider using study sunflowers as support for beans.
Beans. I'd definitely grow beans again, now that mine are finally producing like crazy. I would like to try using the fence of my garden as the main supports. I think that would be a great use of my space, to run the climbing varieties around the perimeter.
And like I said before, peas. The sugar snap and snow peas were great, so I would grow those again as well, also around the perimeter of the garden.
Speaking of the amount of sunlight, I'd also like to tackle more trimming this winter. It's just too hot and buggy to spend a ton of time outside, up in the branches, right now. Winter and early spring is definitely the time to do that.
So beans and peas around the outside, flowers and tomatoes inside, with some greens maybe. My herbs are doing great on the deck and I definitely prefer to have them close to the kitchen. So that's all for this time of year in the garden!
No comments:
Post a Comment